- Downloading Cruelty: An Investigation into the Online Sales of Exotic Pets in the U.S. report – Born Free USA (2016)
- Scales and Tails, The Welfare and Trade of Reptiles Kept as Pets in Canada report – WSPA (2005)
- Animal Traffic, The Global Trade in Exotic Pets The Bioeconomies Media Project (2016)
- Exotic Pet Trade and Keeping: implications for animal welfare, species ecologies and human health Zoocheck (2015) A presentation by reptile specialist Clifford Warwick.
- Amphibians in the Pet Trade: Current Issues Facing Amphibians in the Pet Trade and What You Can Do About It Save The Frogs (2013)
- Changing the Captive Bird Paradigm Zoocheck (2015) A presentation about the issues and challenges of birds in captivity by avian veterinarian Anthony Pilny.
- What a Fish Knows, The Inner Lives of Our Underwater Cousins Zoocheck (2016) A video about the cognitive, emotional and social capabilities of fish by Jonathan Balcombe.
WORKSHOP PRESENTATIONS AND VIDEOS
Exotic Pets in Canada Workshop: Practical information, tools and solutions for addressing current and emerging issues
In October 2018, Zoocheck and World Animal Protection conducted workshops in Moncton, Vancouver and Toronto on the animal welfare, public health and safety and environmental risks associated with the exotic pet trade and solutions for addressing them. Below are the workshop PowerPoint presentations for viewing or download:
- Animal Welfare Assessment Frameworks by Michele Hamers (PDF 5.8MB)
- Avian Welfare by Dr. Alexandra Wilson (PDF 11.5MB)
- Avian Welfare by Dr. Anthony Pilny (PDF 2.7MB)
- Exotic Animals and the Law (British Columbia) by Rebeka Breder (PDF 1.1MB)
- Exotic Animals and the Law (New Brunswick & Ontario) by Camille Labchuk & Lesli Bisgould (PDF 700KB)
- Exotic Pets in Canada – issues, challenges & realities by Rob Laidlaw (PDF 2.4MB)
- Global Exotic Pet Trade by World Animal Protection (PDF 1.1MB)
- Guidelines for husbandry & inspection – EMODE by Clifford Warwick (PDF 6.2MB)
- Health Risks – Zoonoses by Clifford Warwick (PDF 3.1MB)
- Introduction to basic animal welfare principles by Rob Laidlaw (PDF 154KB)
- Regulating Exotic Pets – Positive List by Michele Hamers (PDF 1.8MB)
- Reptile Pets – sourcing, stress & sociobiology by Clifford Warwick (PDF 7.2MB)
- Reptile Trade, Welfare and Inspection Tools by Dr. Adrian Walton (PDF 18.4MB)
Presentation videos coming soon!