A BIG STEP FORWARD FOR ANIMAL PROTECTION IN CANADA – DO YOUR PART TO MAKE SURE IT BECOMES LAW!
Zoocheck is pleased to support the Jane Goodall Act and to have provided assistance in its development.
On March 22, 2022, Senator Marty Klyne reintroduced the Jane Goodall Act to the Senate of Canada. The proposed Bill S-241 is a updated version of a bill introduced by Senator Murray Sinclair in 2020.
WHAT THE JANE GOODALL ACT WILL DO
- Establish strong new protections for captive big cats, bears, walruses, sea lions and seals, certain monkey species and a significant number of potentially dangerous reptiles, including giant constricting snakes, venomous snakes and crocodilians.
- Phase out elephant captivity in Canada.
- Provide enhanced protections for Great Apes.
- Give limited legal standing to the animal species listed in the Act.
- Create a designation for “qualified animal care organizations” and restict the keeping of the Act’s listed animal species to those facilities.
- Require permits for the keeping or breeding of listed animal species.
- Prevent roadside zoos, private animal menageries and other substandard facilities or businesses from acquiring listed animal species.
- In some situations, allow the courts to designate advocates for animals who act on their behalf.
- Support action on the illegal (and legal) wildlife trade of elephant ivory and rhino horn
WHO SUPPORTS THE JANE GOODALL ACT
In addition to scientists, veterinarians, conservationists, animal welfare professionals, Coastal First Nations, numerous Senators (including Senators Patricia Bovey, Julie Miville-Dechene, Peter Harder, Chantal Petitclerc, Jane Cordy and Mary Coyle), other politicians and members of the public, the Jane Goodall Act is also supported by Canada’s leading animal protection organizations, including:
- Jane Goodall Institute of Canada
- World Animal Protection
- Humane Canada
- Humane Society International/Canada
- Animal Justice
The following zoos also support the Jane Goodall Act:
- Toronto Zoo
- Assiniboine Park Zoo
- Calgary Zoo
- Granby Zoo
- Montreal Biodome
Read or watch the speeches in the Senate of Canada by Senators Marty Klyne, Patricia Bovey, Julie Miville-Dechene, Peter Harder, Chantal Petitclerc, Jane Cordy and Mary Coyle.
HOW TO HELP MAKE THE JANE GOODALL ACT BECOME LAW
Promote to Jane Goodall Act to friends, family, colleagues, co-workers and others in person and online. Click here for a Jane Goodall Act – Infographic For additional downloadable infographics go to the Jane Goodall Institute of Canada.
Let the Minister of Environment and Climate Change, Minister of Justice and Attorney General and the Prime Minister know that you strongly support the Jane Goodall Act. Click here to sign the auto letter prepared by our colleagues at World Animal Protection.